I got introduced to this snack in Pune. It turned out be a different but surely interesting way of having bread for breakfast. A very straight forward recipe with minimal requirement of any fancy ingredient. So let’s dig in.
- Bread slices – 4
- Medium sized onion/ tomato/ green chili – 1/2/1
- 3-4 teaspoon cooking oil
- Mustard seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Red chili powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt to taste (I usually take 1 teaspoon)
- Cut bread slices into small pieces. You can do 3×3 or 4×4 depending on the size of the slice. (for the engineers out there, you ideally want pieces of size around 2cm x 2cm)
- Finely chop all the vegetables
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, once hot, add mustard seeds to it
- Once the seeds start to crackle, add onions and green chili
- Saute for a 1-2 minutes till the onions lose their firmness
- Now lower the flame, add tomatoes, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt
- Turn the flame back up to medium and mix
- Keep stirring constantly for few minutes until the tomatoes are done. Usually just saute until they don’t look raw
- Lower the flame, add bread pieces.
- If the bread is a bit dry, sprinkle few drops of water. It will help the masala mix to stick well to bread
- Keep mixing until you see uniform texture
Garnish your masala bread with namkeen of your choice if you want. Eat while hot and enjoy! Do try it out guys and let me know your feedback. Hope you like it!